Colrain Center

Thumbnail Image
Date
1899-01-01
Authors
Kelley, C.N.
Journal Title
Journal ISSN
Volume Title
Publisher
Abstract
Description
Colrain center in 1899. Looking northeast from Greenfield Rd.
On the right, the double-porch, mansard roof, Colrain Inn. First called Colrain House, was built 1804-5 and expanded to three floors in 1861. It enjoyed its heyday until it was destroyed by fire in 1886. Rebuilt and destroyed again in 1896. In 1899 It was rebuilt, again with three floors. It was damaged by fire in 1936 losing its third floor. Its final fire destroyed the building in 1989. In its heyday it had a popular white-tablecloth dining room, and folks would take the trolley from Shelburne Falls to go up to “the city” for ice cream at the Inn. Description Courtesy Colrain Historical Society.
Keywords
Colrain
Citation